Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Wednesday 2 March 2016

REBEL TROOPS ARE MUSTERING, 1775-83

Here is a photo of some recently completed Rebel Americans. The brown coated belong to the 1st Pennsylvania Battn. 1776, the white coated are the 4th New York Regt. 1778. while the cavalry are an independent troop of South Carolina Militia Light Horse 1780. With my 24 Continental light infantry ready and complete, and a steady stream of militiamen forming up, I now have a small army.
MGB


6 comments:

  1. Some lovely looking units there. The AWI does indeed have some very varied and colourful uniforms. I really like the look of those South Carolina Light Horse troopers.

    Best regards
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CB, I have an interest in the period 1760-1800 for researching military uniforms. I actually want to spend some time improving my terrain features next, including roads. Then I will return to my long-planned FRW amphibious actions. Michael

      Delete
  2. Great paint job and beautiful bases, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil, I still have a pile of lead figures to complete so such comments are most welcome.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. On the subject of amphibious operations I found myself in north Holland again last weekend at Castricum. (British/Russsian amphibious landings 1799). There I visited a house where a cannonball still decorates the wall after the battle there between the Anglo/Russians and the Franco/Batavians. The villagers have painted the house white and the cannonball black so it stands out quite nicely. The landings at Callantshoog and the following battles at Bergen, Alkmaar and Castricum make a fascinating campaign for the tabletop with a manageable amount of very colourful units.

    Best regards as always
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, What an ornament to a property! Yes, and such a campaign would make a change from Napoleon in Italy. For the moment I am looking at Toulon and Quiberon Bay as I have a strong interest in the Emigres, but I am also thinking of raising some more Dutch, and the later Batavians. Well the latter can also serve in the West Indies. Michael

      Delete