Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Legion du Midi c.1792 takes the field

Having raised a small battalion of chasseurs some time ago, I've finally completed two squadrons of light horse for the Legion du Midi.  These are my own castings, and their lighter blue uniforms add a lot of colour to the French Revolutionary Army.
MGB


10 comments:

  1. Lovely blue shades, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, took a while to mix up the same shade as the infantry section, its ultramarine blue with some white. Ordinary French blue is a bit drab in comparison, and I typically mix most of my own colours and shades.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Casually adds my own castings! They're awesome. Love the blue.
    Cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. It was a lot of work making a mould, and then cleaning them of flash, and I cast or buy separate weapons. The horses are Hinchcliffe. But it does allow me to have particular uniformed units not made by Dixon or Foundry, which I was keen to have represented.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Well done with the figures, I was going to ask you who the manufacturer was, thats how good they look. A man of many talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Robbie, but I fear paint hides a lot of flaws. I started on my 1790s collection many years ago so my figures must work with my large collection from Dixon and WF. If I had the funds and resolve to start a new collection I would be tempted by the Eureka range. Have recently purchased some early Prussian hussars from Elite. Think they will paint up well.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Yet another fine addition and even more proof (if any was needed) that the FRW had a lot of colourful units with unusual uniforms to paint. Not just the scruffy blues and royalist whites that many people have in mind when they think of the FRW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CB, have a feeling you will like the next post, will be uploading shortly. I honestly feel, the FRW is the final flourish of the '18th Century Lace Wars', with some Revolutionary flamboyance added to the mix.
      Best wishes,
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Having made a few of my own figures I know how difficult it is, so yours are very much to be admired. Your previous post shows a most interestingly growing collection and Colin is trying to turn me on to the Revolution by getting me to paint Hussarettes of 1792! Hope one day I'll get an invitation down the M5 to help you play with your Revolutionaries...
    Chris
    http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, hope to clear some more 'house' projects in the first half of the new year, will then feel in a position to invite friends over. Its difficult to surpass the elegant mirliton hussars of the 1790s.
      Michael

      Delete